The following is a list of common errors related to promoting Contacts to Users and steps to take to resolve them. For information on how to promote Contacts to Users, check out: How Do I Promote Contacts to Users?.
- Reason: The Contact is assigned to a Prospective Partner Organization.
- Solution: Only Contacts assigned to Active Partner Organizations can be promoted to Users, so you'll have to change the Partner Organization's status to "Active" to promote the Contact to a User.
- Reason: There's a User in the system with the same email address as the Contact you're trying to promote.
- Search for the email address to locate the User.
- Delete the Contact.
- If the User is a Pending User, you can resend the account activation email to the User (after deleting the Contact) using the instructions listed in this article: How Do I Resend a User's Account Activation Email?.
- Reason: You're trying to promote a User that's already a User in the system.
- Solution: This usually happens when trying to promote Contacts in bulk. Make sure there are no Active, Pending, Disabled, or Inactive Users included in your selection.
- Reason: The Contact's email domain is associated with a different Partner Organization than the one they're assigned to.
- Solution: Remove the email domain from the Partner Organization that it's assigned to and add it to the Ignored Email Domains list.