This article gives step-by-step setup instructions of Channeltivity’s Partner Sync integration with Salesforce. An overview of Channeltivity’s Partner Sync Salesforce Integration can be found in this article.
Set Up Salesforce Fields
- Log into Salesforce.com CRM as an Admin
- Go to Setup -> App Setup -> Customize -> Accounts -> Fields
- Add an Account Custom Field of type Checkbox and call it "Sync with Channeltivity" (or anything you want)
- There will need to be a picklist on the Salesforce Account to denote the Partner's status, whether they're active, prospective or inactive. You can use an existing picklist (e.g. the built-in Account Type) or create a new one (go to Setup -> App Setup -> Customize -> Accounts -> Fields), but you'll need to make sure you have three separate picklist values you can use for Active Partner, Prospective Partner and Inactive Partner. Many customers use the Account Type field and add the following values to indicate that the Account is a Partner:
- Reseller, Active
- Reseller, Prospective
- Reseller, Inactive
Prep Salesforce Partner Data
IMPORTANT:To avoid duplicate records being created it is of critical importance that all your Partner Accounts in Salesforce are properly categorized by with the status (active, prospective, inactive) and have the sync flag set.
- Log into Salesforce CRM
- Go through any Partner Accounts that already exist in Salesforce and make sure each of them has the "Sync with Channeltivity" flag checked and is assigned to the correct picklist value is set for Active, Prospective or Inactive Partners. You can change multiple records at once using the same technique outlined in this article. (There's no need to manually create any Partner Accounts in Salesforce, because Channeltivity will create any missing Partners.)
- Log into Channeltivity PRM as an Admin and go to Settings -> Salesforce Integration
- If you haven't already done so, set your Salesforce Integration Credentials
- If your credentials are valid, the Partner Sync configuration section becomes available. Click on it:
- Set the Partner Sync to "Bi-Directional Sync":
- Check the boxes if you want Prospective or Inactive Partners to be synchronized between your Salesforce CRM and Channeltivity PRM systems.
- Select the picklist and values corresponding with Active, Prospective and Inactive Partners and select the sync flag field. You'll need to specify all three account types even if you're not synchronizing Prospective or Inactive Partners. You will also need to select a checkbox field that indicates that a Partner Account in Salesforce should get synced with Channeltivity. If you use record types in Salesforce for Accounts and Contacts, you can specify which one to use below.
Note: All dropdown values are pulled directly from your Salesforce portal. If you change them in Salesforce you'll need to refresh the page to have them appear.
- Map the fields from the Channeltivity Partner box on the left to the Salesforce Account box on the right. These field mappings determine the two-way flow of data between Partner records in the two systems. The configuration page will automatically display all fields in your Salesforce instance. Mappings are created by first clicking on the source field on the left and then clicking the destination on the right. Make sure all required fields in both systems are mapped to. Note that only "Partner Record" and not "Partner Profile" custom fields are available to be mapped.
- Scroll down and do the same for the Channeltivity Contacts/Users and Salesforce Contacts.
- Tip: You can create new destination fields on the fly, by mapping to "New Field" at the bottom of each box.
- process will also create a number of custom Salesforce fields used by Channeltivity and add them to your Salesforce layouts:
- When the saving process completes, you will be redirected to the Partner matching wizard, which allows you to link existing Partners from both systems to prevent the creation of duplicate records. The wizard suggest Partners based on Partner name and address and allows you to link each Partner in Channeltivity to an existing Partner Account in Salesforce or to create a new Partner Account. Any Contacts/Users will be matched solely based on their email addresses; Salesforce Contacts without an email address will not be synced.
- During the matching process, Channeltivity will merge data from matched records and then update both systems with the merged data. Merging data is done field-by-field so that if one side has data but the other side doesn't, the side with data is selected to create the final data. The Master System determines which side is used if field data exists in both Channeltivity and Salesforce. Check the box to indicate that you've completed the preparation process and select the "Master System". Tip: You can change the Master System as you go along.
- Press the "Get Started" button to display a list your Partners from Channeltivity along with suggested matches from Salesforce. In the screenshot below, you see Tolstoy Integration in Channeltivity (highlighted in red) along with suggested match Tolstoy Integration on the right. We can now either:
- Select one of the suggested Partners by pressing the corresponding "Link" button
- Manually select a different Partner using the "Select Other Partner" dropdown and corresponding "Link" button
- Create a completely new Partner in Salesforce by pressing the "Create New Partner" button at the bottom right
- Permanently exclude Tolstoy Integration from synchronization by pressing the "Don't Sync This Partner" button on the bottom left
- Tip: If you need to make changes on either side, make the changes and then hit the "Refresh Data" button at the top, which reloads all Partner data from both systems.
- When you've matched all your Partners and the matching process is complete, a confirmation page is displayed and Channeltivity will start syncing Partner records.